By Loren Acuña

Written or edited by Loren Acuña. Please feel free to add to the thoughts presented here by posting a comment or question.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Robot Chronicles – Is There a Robo-Fiduciary In Your Future?

I resisted getting a Kindle because I really like a good book. Since I have had this little device, I have probably read even more and a wider variety than before. I just finished a compilation of short science fiction stories on Artificial Intelligence (AI), titled Robot Chronicles, edited by David Gatewood, published 2014.  It’s a great read and offers a wider glimpse into how people imagine AI will affect our lives. So I had to ask myself, what about a robo-fiduciary?


We already see more places where specific types of AI are used. For instance, cars that stop or park themselves. Some AI, like “robo investing”, really boil down to a complex set of instructions or rules with lots of “If, then” statements. If interest rates go up, do this. If a stock index goes down by a certain amount, do this, only much more complex.


What about a robo fiduciary?  Would you want a robot programmed with your decisions to handle your life for you once you were deemed mentally incompetent?  I have a hunch most of us would not be that comfortable living with fixed choices made at an earlier age which are executed by a machine -  no matter how “empathic” AI might eventually be programmed to emulate. I still swear at my phone or computer when it crashes or does not work. I can’t imagine being all that comfortable allowing an AI entity to make my living choices for me, would you?
The NEXT 50
One of my unique services offers people an opportunity to explore what they imagine the next 50 years might hold for the world. You might want to get a jump on it and use my LegacyMapping service to pre-write your AI instruction manual. Do we start with medications?  If you oppose taking a stack of pills, what will you accept? What if medical science develops a pill that really does stave off or curtail Alzheimer’s Disease?
Actually, LegacyMapping gives you a chance to explore and revisit areas that can require your or other people's attention during the aging process. Sort of like a regular pre-flight check. It is a dialogue about what choices you want to make, given current circumstances.  One of the segments - The Next 50 – deals with what kind of world would you like to see in 50 years? What do you want to leave behind or what “instructions” do you think are timeless that could help make the world better? What resources do you have to make the world a better place 50 years in the future, whether or not we have AI?
Why Do I Need A Fiduciary? 
I occasionally meet people who don't understand why they might need anyone to be their agent or trustee. They say, “I pay my bills on-line and my investments are part of managed portfolio, why would I need someone to make decisions?”  After looking at all the cases in which I have been involved, it is clear that choice of trustee can make a huge difference in the quality of life an elder experiences or the settlement of a contentious case.
When I step in to act as someone’s agent or trustee, my number one job is to get to know the person – their values, their wishes, their goals – what motivates them.  People’s values change during different circumstances. Because we all change. Because life throws us unexpected curveballs. Mostly because we want to know someone out there cares about us, a fiduciary’s job is much deeper than paying bills or making sure assets are invested. This is why we need to name our “person” with care and foresight.
While there may be a robo-fiduciary option someday (maybe I will write my own short science fiction story about that), you already have a better option than family members who might fight with one another. You have a better option than friends who might be more comfortable as a friend rather than handling your estate or personal business.
Human Touch
A professional fiduciary is not a robot, but we do bring a level of experience to the job that a family or friend will not have. My fifteen years of experience in this field has given me a sense of how to evaluate and handle a variety of situations.  In addition, we offer empathy and non-judgmental care for our clients. We seek your best outcome given the resources you have accumulated. We use a “gestalt of empathy, wisdom, experience and intuition along with analysis that a trained human provides”. We pilot you through the frail elder years as someone without any entitlement to your estate. In this way, we have no conflict of interest whether to use your resources for your wishes and needs.
I would love to know your thoughts, please feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment