By Loren Acuña

Written or edited by Loren Acuña. Please feel free to add to the thoughts presented here by posting a comment or question.

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2014

The 12 Days of Christmas

When our kids were little, we celebrated the Twelve Days of Christmas by picking a different character in the Christmas story for each night: Mary, Joseph, the angels, Herod, the Magi, the shepherds, Anna, Simeon, Elizabeth, Zechariah, John the Baptist, and Jesus.  There were presents many nights; food and games were planned to go with the character (i.e. honey and “locusts” for John the Baptist or hide and seek for Herod).  This tradition started many interesting conversations about faith and the real people who were part of bringing the joy of Christmas to the world.
It was fun……..and……..exhausting.

What started out as one of Mom's crazy ideas became an annual tradition. Each year, we would add some new twist or fun. By the time Epiphany arrived, it felt like Christmas had been going on all year. Kind of like our current home remodel project.
 
Each day I come home to see some new bit added.  It's a lot like opening a new present every day.  It also feels like the 12 Days of Christmas going on and on and on. I am ready for the New Year!

But I also kind of miss the “good 'ol days”.  I miss the way the girls woke us up really early on Christmas morning, after only a few hours sleep because we spent all night wrapping presents. I miss having to keep the Santa wrapping paper different from the other presents. Right now, I miss my bedroom.
 
Even when I miss what we used to do at Christmas, I know that if I hold too tightly onto the “good 'ol days” I might miss the absolutely amazing gift waiting for me right now 

Families change; kids grow up; special people are no longer with us during the holidays; but Christmas is about God entering our world in a mysterious way at a particular time in history to make things new, to make love real. A baby in a manger came to remind each of us how much God loves us, every day, all year long.
  
So no matter what holiday traditions you celebrate, take a moment away from the tinsel and fake snow to breathe in a moment of real joy and peace – to celebrate God's presence all around, here and now.
  
To each of you, may you experience Peach on Earth in the coming year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment